How to join our online Slack for Belgian Dermatology Community
Step 1 You’ve received an invitation from email@example.com to confirm you want to join the online Slack for Belgian Dermatology Community.
Step 2 Once you confirm, you’ll receive a private invitation (with URL) to join the Belgian Dermatology Slack Community. Only Members of the KBVDV/SRBDV and our administrators have access to this Community.
Stap 3 Search and join channels of your interest.
Step 4 Start contributing and sharing ideas
- What is Slack?
- What is a channel in Slack?
- Privacy and what not to share via Slack
- Search and join channels
- I have a new topic to address
- Can I create a channel for a smaller group of dermatologists?
- Guidelines for channels
- What is a thread?
- How to add people to a new channel.
- Is Slack a secure environment?
What is Slack?
What is a channel in Slack?
In Slack, teamwork and communication happen in channels. A channel is a single place to share messages, tools, and files on the same topic.
So if you need a place to discuss ongoing or new topics, a channel is the place where collaboration happens on these topics. We’ve already created some channels to get all of us started. You need to search and join each channel separately. Should you wish to add a new channel, let us know via firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll add it for you.
- Education and Events
Privacy and what not to share via Slack
- The KBVDV takes the privacy and safety of its Slack Community very seriously.
All members that create an account and use the KBVDV’s Slack Community accept to respect Slack’s overall policy and the KBVDV’s specific policy described on this page.
- KBVDV’s Slack Communityis set-up strictly for KBVDV members and the KBVDV administrators only.
- The KBVDV does not allow sharing personal data on patients (name, place of living).
- Although KBVDV’s Slack Community can be a place to discuss specific patient cases, it is not allowed to share information that can be attributed to an individual patient by other members.
- It is not allowed to copy any information shared within the Slack Community (fe: copy-pasting into an email, saving files to another storage location, etc).
- It is not allowed to make any screenshots of the Slack Community.
- The KBVDV invites all its members to report any violation of the above regulations immediately and reserves the right to delete the user accounts of those individuals not respecting the regulations.
Search and join channels
As a member you can browse and join any channel in our Community
To search and join a channel:
- Click the plus icon next to Channels in your left sidebar.
- Select Browse channels.
- Select a listed channel, or type a channel name in the search bar.
- Click Join Channel or press Enter.
I have a new topic to address
Should you wish to add a new channel, let us know via email@example.com and we’ll add it for you.
Can I create a channel for a smaller group of dermatologists?
At this stage, it has been decided that all channels can be found and joined by all members that are using the platform. Should there be requests to establish private channels, the Board of the KBVDV will evaluate this decision again.
Guidelines for channels
While a Community can have as many channels as needed, Slack works best when channel guidelines are in place, and certain best practices are followed.
What is a thread?
Threads keep discussions in channels organized. From any message, you can start a thread to ask a question, add context, or give feedback without disrupting a conversation's flow. A thread will remain connected to its original message, and only those who have contributed or who have followed the thread will be notified of new replies. Follow the steps below to start or reply to a thread:
- Hover over the message you'd like to reply to.
- Click the Start a thread icon.
- Write your message.
- Click Send.
How to add people to a new channel.
Important to know is that when you create a new channel this channel will not automatically be visible for other members. Members can find your channel by browsing or you can add people to your channel. To add people:
- Open the channel you'd like to add someone to.
- Click Details in the top right.
- Select Add.
- Search for and select the members you'd like to add..
- When you're done, click Add.
More and detailed information about all the functionalities can be found here
Is Slack a secure environment?
We work with double opt-in.
Only KBVDV members and the KBVDV administrators have access.
Slack’s security program is based on the concept of defense in depth: securing your organization—and your data—at every layer. Slack, as a private company, continues to earn certifications adhering to the most broadly recognized security standards, offer solutions to help you address your compliance requirements, and employ rigorous measures at the architectural and operational levels to keep your data safe.
Slack meets and exceeds some of the most broadly recognized security standards and offers solutions to help you address your compliance requirements.
Slack certifications and attestations:
Slack’s dedicated security team uses industry-accepted best practices and frameworks to keep your data safe. Their security approach focuses on security governance, risk management and compliance. This includes encryption at rest and in transit, network security and server hardening, administrative access control, system monitoring, logging and alerting, and more
More information about security at Slack can be found here.